Providence Personal Injury Attorney
Handling Claims for Victims throughout Rhode Island
In an instant, serious accidents can leave you with devastating injuries. When these incidents are caused by negligence or reckless behavior, seeking compensation in a personal injury claim can not only help you, or your hurt loved one, with the financial help you need, but can also provide a vital service to prevent similar accidents in the future.
After seeking the medical attention that your injuries require, an experienced Rhode Island personal injury lawyer can provide guidance throughout the entirety of your case. At McIntyre Tate LLP, we have more than 150 years of combined experience handling negotiations and litigation related to a range of personal injury matters.
Individualized Legal Representation
Our firm provides representation that is tailored to each client's specific case and needs. Working as a team and enlisting the help of experts, we provide comprehensive representation to injured clients Our goal is to do our best to protect our clients' rights and best interests.
- The cases we have handled include the following:
- Auto accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Wrongful death
- Slip and fall (premises liability)
Throughout the years we have been in practice, we have seen injuries of virtually every type and severity. Our firm has also handled cases involving the infliction of severe injuries and emotional distress on a victim of terrorism.
How Liability is Decided
When you get into an accident that was not your fault, you probably feel certain, deep down in your gut, that no liability should be placed on your shoulders for what happened. Yet what you know is not nearly as important as what you can prove or argue when it comes to assigning liability in a personal injury case.
Sooner or later after an accident or incident, insurance companies will get involved and try to determine the liability of all parties. The same determination may later be required of a judge or jury, if the matter cannot be solved outside of court. What are these parties going to weigh while making their decisions? Knowing what can decide liability in a personal injury claim can further help you prove your point and actually secure the compensation you need and deserve.
Typical factors that can help with assigning liability in an injury claim:
- Admissions of guilt: One of the most influential factors in a personal injury claim is one of the least formal: admissions of guilt. Parties seeking to avoid fault will cling to any sort of admission of guilt from any of the parties, including saying a simple sorry. Even if no one records you saying that you are sorry for the accident, if the other party or their insurer gets wind of it, they will fight tooth and nail to pin as much liability onto you as possible.
- Photographs or video: Pictures say 1,000 words or more when it comes to liability assignments in personal injury claims. While everyone has an idea what happened leading up to and during the accident, photos and videos will show with stark certainty the reality of the situation. If you think other parties might have visual evidence of the accident that you have not seen yet, be sure to tell your personal injury attorney. During the discovery process, they can request copies of any and all evidence the opposition might have on hand.
- Eyewitness testimony: Do not forget the power of spoken word. The testimony of eyewitnesses will be used extensively by insurers and other parties when they try to determine liability. This may help or hurt your case. Sometimes the person who gave a testimony is not trustworthy, or there are other reasons to doubt what they have said. The testimony of eyewitnesses should never be taken at face value and your personal injury attorney can help you decide the best approach to either minimize or maximize the impact of such testimony.
- Official statements: When it comes to using trustworthy testimony to help with liability assignments, people in uniform are second-to-none. In particular, the official statements of emergency responders – police officers, firefighters, rescue crews, and paramedics – are often held in high esteem by insurers and judges.
Experienced in Personal Injury Law
When you are injured, the last thing on your mind should be legal issues. resources which are necessary to putting together a strong case on your behalf. Our Rhode Island personal injury team works to gather sufficient evidence to hold the responsible party accountable and recover maximum compensation on your behalf. Our legal team is prepared to advise you of your rights and ensure you are educated of your options for seeking compensation.
Contact our firm at (401) 351-7700 to discuss your individual situation.