Skip to Content

Overview of Supervised Parenting Time in Rhode Island


In an ideal situation, a divorce will end with both parents having joint custody rights of their children.  Usually, this means that one parent will have physical possession of the children, and the other parent will have visitation or parenting time.  For the parent that does not have physical possession, visitation can be arranged using a predictable schedule, such as visitation for several hours each weekend. However, there are situations in which a court determines a noncustodial parent could be a significantly negative influence on a child, or even pose a danger to them.

In these situations, a court will nevertheless strive to promote a healthy relationship between the parent and child.  Therefore, rather than prevent all contact, supervised parenting time might be ordered by a Rhode Island family law judge. During supervised parenting time, the noncustodial parent can only spend time with their children while in the presence of persons who are approved by the Court. The custodial parent should also be present to take their child home after the visit ends.

A Court may order supervised parenting time to occur at specific locations, such as an approved public location, the home of a trusted family member, or at the Garrahy Judicial Complex in Providence, and at certain hours.  The Court may also order that conditions be imposed on supervised parenting time, such as regular drug or alcohol screening, or attendance at parenting classes or counseling.

What circumstances might call for supervised parenting time?

  • History of domestic violence
  • Drug or alcohol dependency
  • Ongoing criminal proceedings
  • Diagnosed mental instability

Feeling Isolated Due to a Lack of Parenting Time? We Can Help!

Parents who have been effectively isolated following a divorce or separation may feel like they have no way of seeing their children again. At McIntyre Tate LLP, our Rhode Island family law attorneys can help you find a way to spend time with your children.   Supervised parenting time and other options are available to begin the process of reuniting parents with their children. To discover your rights and options, reach out to our highly experienced team today. You can dial (401) 351-7700 or use an online contact form to begin with a scheduled consultation.

Share To: